Stepping Stones

A woman's journey through life while juggling the affects of Psoriatic Arthritis.

Thursday, November 17, 2005

The Saga Continues...

As many out there probably know by now, a couple days ago there was a batch of strong storms came through the state of Indiana. They actually moved across most of the Midwest causing several tornadoes and much damage to homes and businesses. Here in my little town, we did have a tornado pass by the edge of the town's boundaries. I'm very thankful that it was nowhere near my house even though we did get some very strong winds. Chris was already off to work when the first hint of bad weather began to creep into the state. You know it's going to be a bad, bad storm when the weather interrupts the daily soap operas. Lol, not that I watch them all but I know a lot of people who are so wrapped up in the storylines that one minute is never missed. The only soap I've gotten into in the past couple of years would be Passions. Some of the women in my family have been following the soaps on CBS for as long as I can remember. Needless to say they weren't happy that the weather butted into their soap time. *giggles* I didn't really feel afraid until there was a tornado warning issued for my county. About ten minutes later, the warning sirens sounded. Around here the sirens tend to go off for really strong winds and not just warning for the possibility of tornadoes. So I didn't go down into the basement right away. When my dog, Dudley, started to act funny by running towards the front door and then hiding under the seat of my piano, I decided it was time to go downstairs. I had already placed my "bad weather" kit near the basement access. The hardest thing was trying to get Dudley down the stairs. But once we were down there, it was a good thing.

The sky grew really really dark about five minutes or so after we were down there. I noticed that the wind picked up as well. One of the eeriest sounds I have ever heard was the sound of the strong winds blowing across the top of the chimney. The howling and whistling was enough to make me wish that we didn't have a chimney at all! After about ten or fifteen minutes the winds stopped. Actually, everything stopped. It was as if someone had flipped a switch and everything went off. Almost as soon as that happened, the winds picked back up again. I think I was staying down there for an hour. I called my brother to see what the radar looked like because at my mom's house, there isn't a safe space. They were just sitting around listening to the reports and all. Lol, I know that if I didn't go down to the basement, my luck would be crappy. I waited just a few more minutes and then I went upstairs. There was a second line of storms behind the one that had just passed. Yet, they weren't not as bad as the first line. Now all I have to contend with is the cold November temperatures. The high two days ago was 65 F here and today it is 28 F. So I was pretty much laid up in the bed yesterday from the severe weather change. I at least managed to get the headlines and inspiration done yesterday so that those of my family and friends who read this will know that I'm doing okay. I know it's not much but at least it will show that I'm online. So don't worry unless there's nothing posted at all during the day!

Other than that little bit of excitement, I have been steadily working on my NaNoWriMo novel. I missed a few days due the fact that Chris wanted to use the computer and I wasn't able to type for long. I also got distracted a few times by all the emails I have had put aside to concentrate on the story itself. I have managed to get near the 20k word mark and will work on it as much as I can throughout the next couple of days since the Thanksgiving holiday is nearing. I also found an awesome old time looking leather bound journal at Amazon.com that I bought for myself. I loved it! I normally just use composition books for my offlines journals but I so wanted this one. For the first time I did something for me. It felt really nice to be able to get it, small a thing as it is. Go me!

Well, I know this is a huge entry compared to the other ones. I have a lot to do before Chris gets home from work. He wants to play his computer game when he gets home. So take care and don't forget to tell someone you love them.

Until next time,
Kim

1 Comments:

  • At 1:30 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I can identify with the changes in your weather. Jeepers...one day it is in the 60's with winds of 10 - 15 mph and the next it is in the low 40's with 5 mph winds blowing. We still have at least 40 - 50% humidity, so the barometric changes may not seem like much, but to a person with Chronic Osteo and Rheumatoid Arthritis, Occipital Neuralgia, Fibromyalgia, Bronchial Asthma, etc.. these lil' changes can make a big difference in the way it makes me feel.

    Plus, I am still depressed due to the recent deaths in my family. I am trying to get through this the best way I know how and just accept
    that there is nothing I can do to change the circumstances, but I can't seem to get much further than
    barely keeping my head above water
    ...it's like I'm just treading and
    not even dog-paddling. I know that
    I will heal mentally, but when you hurt mentally and physically, it is
    really hard to try to stay positive.

    It just downright sucks when it's cold and rainy here. Jeez, yeah, we needed a little rain, but two dang days worth? pfffffttt. At least now it looks, if the weatherman is right, that we will have some cold artic air coming down to Texas from Canada all the way through the Midwest, but at least the chances of rain are slight. At least that's some consolation, I guess. Can't tell yet if it's going to be another chilly winter or mild one yet. However, compared to everyone else,
    it's been practically tropical here.

    Well, Kimmy, thanks for letting me post to your blog. It helps a lot,
    plus I think it's time to say
    'night night' cause it is most definitely been an achey day. I'll
    update on your blogs after I've had
    like twelve hours of sleep. lol. Goddess, that sounds sooooo good!!

    I love you and keep working on that novel. You are really making progress...you've doubled your words almost since we last talked. Catch on IM next week, if Jim n I don't fight over the computer. lol. Party Poker.net vs. my posting, emails, and instant
    messaging. But I love him, so I will share the puter and not gripe.

    TTFN my little sister. Keep your chin up, woman.

    Hugs, Love and Blessings to you n Christopher.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home