Stepping Stones

A woman's journey through life while juggling the affects of Psoriatic Arthritis.

Friday, March 03, 2006

Changes

Life has a funny way of taking over, doesn't it? Just when I think I'm doing well and getting back into the groove of things, somethinge else comes along and makes it a bit more difficult to get back in a routine. I was getting better and trying to update daily like I wanted when Chris went to his oncologist appointment Monday. It has been just a little over six months since he was announced cancer free, so this was to be a routine visit. However, we got a small shock. Though his bloodwork and physical exam came out clean and no cancer found, the doctor recommended Chris taking a month to have four doses of Rituxin (chemotherapy drug) and repeat that process every six months. This would go on for the two years that he is to have check ups at the six month mark. When he first came home and told me, I immediately went into a what the heck type of mode. I couldn't believe that the doctor would want him to have chemo if he wasn't battling cancer again. Before I could get more information out of him, it was time for him to go to work. It didn't surprise me much when he came walking back through the door only four hours later. Apparently the decision of whether to take it or not weighed heavily on his mind and he couldn't focus at work. So the supervisor sent him home. It was then that he explained in a bit more detail that the reason the doctor wanted him to take this extra bit of chemo was to ensure a higher chance of the cancer never coming back at all. As it stood before today, his chances of the cancer coming back was 50/50. Once he completes this course over the two years, he will have a 95% of the cancer not coming back within his lifetime. There's always going to be a chance that it might but more than likely it won't. So he thought it over, slept on the decision and then decided to go ahead and take the chemo. If doing that would allow him more years on this Earth, then he wanted to do it.

So the last few days I have been busy trying to help him get ready for the chemo and to get myself stronger. I nearly defeated the purpose by doing too much of the laundry in one day and straining my already tight muscles in my back. The Fibro hasn't let up much since we've been having some wild weather here in Indiana. My joints are doing okay, still have some trouble with them. I can manage with a bit more difficulty than usual to put clothes into the washer. Putting them into the dryer is the hardest part because of the bending and all. Most of the time, Chris has to do that half. I hope to be able to do all of it soon. Plus, I am still unable to walk long distances without becoming so winded that I have to stop. I feel dizzy and light headed sometimes. I know it's going to take a long while to get back to the strength I had before they found the blood clot. I'm hoping the CT scan I had yesterday shows that they are gone. I should get the results on Monday. Keep your fingers crossed. Well, that's pretty much all of what's going on in a nutshell. Hope all is well out there.

Love and blessings,
Kim

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home