Stepping Stones

A woman's journey through life while juggling the affects of Psoriatic Arthritis.

Monday, May 29, 2006

Summer days and nights...

I must apologize to the few readers that I have out there. It has been an extremely hectic weekend and I couldn't find time to get to the computer for more than a few minutes at a time. We had a cook-out here at the house on Sunday (5/28) to celebrate Memorial Day and also the Indy 500. There was a lot that needed to be done around the house before the big day so I started working on each room about a week beforehand. I was able to do almost everything that I had on my list but as Sunday grew closer, I realized that I wasn't going to be able to do everything to the level of perfection that I had created for myself. I honestly believe that I intentionally set things so I high and above the ability level that I have just so I can berate myself when I fail. It's not a question of if I fail due to the high levels I expect from myself but how badly I have failed. I was reminded by a few people on Sunday that they didn't care if my floor hadn't been mopped or that the stove hadn't been cleaned and sparkling. They were there to spend time with me and enjoy the day. I pushed myself way more than I should have but I wanted everyone to not have to worry about anything.

While I'm proud of myself for accomplishing what I did, I'm now paying for it in pain. My feet and legs are swollen for being up on them so much in the past five days as well as doing a lot of walking to make sure all the guests were getting enough attention all the way around. My head aches, my hands are swollen and painful. I feel as though someone has put me into a blender and pressed the pulse button a few times. It'll take me a few days to completely recover. In fact, I slept late today, not waking completely until nearly 5pm. I had such a vivid dream that I woke up with tears on my face and clutching a blanket as though it was another person's arm. I hurried to the bathroom and then back into the bedroom, grabbing a pad of paper and a pen. I didn't want to let this dream go away without recording what had been in it. That's how I write a lot of the things I do. The emotions of the dream, the way the food smelled, the lighting. I can still remember bits of it. Luckily, even with my hands swollen, I was able to write down about five pages of a new story. I wrote a basic outline of the dream on a page so I could remember how the story flowed. It's really an awesome experience for me. I'm not sure exactly how I could explain how it feels in words although they are tools of my trade, so to speak.

Today was mostly hot and humid as yesterday was. I'm glad that I slept through most of it. I'm really glad that the cook-out we had wasn't set until the evening when the humidity was slowly leaving the air. For a few moments on Sunday, I actually thought it might rain. But Mother Nature took pity on us and kept the rain clouds away. There was a gentle breeze blowing through which did make the day tolerable. The kids came over, providing us with endless entertainment. Conversation flowed over good food and drinks. So the cook-out was awesome. I wish I could have more of them. Just gotta get the planning thing down a little better. Today I'm playing catch up from not doing much on the computer. It was worth it a way but I feel guilty for not at least emailing my friends. Hope that you all are staying cool wherever you are.

Love and blessings,
Kim

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home