Stepping Stones

A woman's journey through life while juggling the affects of Psoriatic Arthritis.

Monday, June 05, 2006

Sunny today

It's been a long hard road but I'm starting to get things back into a routine. I lost my way a few days ago. I do know that part of the reason lies within the time period. You see, two years ago we lost a very special person in our lives. Chris' grandmother passed away after so many years of giving us laughter and a sense of direction. She literally was the matriarch of his family. I found myself talking to her on a number of occasions and it seemed that we were two women of the same age, sitting and chatting about things done in the old days. She often told me that I had the soul of an old woman. I will never forget how she made me feel as though I was already a part of the family from the day I started to date Chris. Never once did she say or do anything that would make me not want to be near her. Two years ago, we went up to Indianapolis because the family had called us when she had begun to decline in health. The Indy 500 was going on just a few blocks away from the hospital where we were staying. Before we entered into the hospital room, we were told not to worry if she spoke weird things or seemed crazy to us. Yet the very second we walked into the room, she woke up and said "It's about time you two got here."

I gave Chris a lot of time with her because it was his grandmother. Then I went up to her and hugged her, thanking her for allowing me to know her. We left that room and it wasn't more than a couple hours later, a severe thunderstorm came over us. The tornado sirens sounded causing the hospital staff to usher us out into the hallways, away from windows where we could have been injured. There was a tornado spotted a few miles away from the hospital. In fact, it was one of the worst that Indianapolis had seen for awhile. Deep in my soul, I knew Mama had gone home with the angels. She went out with a bang. Her body lasted a few more days before completely giving out. We buried her in Kentucky next to her husband and son. She's there keeping them in line and playing cards, taking all she can get. It's always near this time of year when I stop and remember her for what wonderful advice she had given me and the comfort she provided for me when I needed it the most. I miss you, Mama. More than words could ever express.

Today, I'm catching up with emails and other things that I have neglected for too long. It's bright and sunny outside but I feel swollen and stiff. I'm thinking there's a weather system out to the west of Indiana causing some havoc and coming my way. We'll see. I usually feel the change in pressure a few days before it actually happens. Chris is busy doing some cleaning. I'm still on a partial "grounding" from doing too much after working so hard on the house a couple weeks ago. My body is still healing itself from having been pushed so far over its limit. I'm working steadily on my reading goal. I know now that I won't make it to the 50 books that I had set to have been read by the end of this month but that doesn't tarnish the achievement of 25 books so far. I still have the month of June to read through. So we'll see where I end up at the end of the month. Hope all is well with everyone out there. Remember to take care of yourselves and know that you are loved.

Love and blessings,
Kim

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home