Stepping Stones

A woman's journey through life while juggling the affects of Psoriatic Arthritis.

Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Rain, rain, go away....

Today is one of those days that you would like to just crawl back under the covers and sleep the hours away. Okay, that's what I would like to be doing right about now. But housework calls. I'm going to try and get the laundry caught up today if I'm able as well as straightening. With Chris going back to work, I know it's going to take him a while to get his body used to things again and his pain level is going to increase to the point where he just needs to relax when he gets home from work. So I'm going to do my best to make that happen. I didn't post much of anything yesterday because I didn't want to. My thoughts were all on what the day symbolized and I didn't want to do anything but honor those who lost their lives on that day as well as honor the men and women who strive to protect our way of life here in the United States. Today, well, today is a different story.

The roller coaster of my life is still operating at full tilt. Seems that just when I figure there's going to be a small break so that I can breathe and relax a little bit, something else comes along to keep me going no matter what. Chris was still having trouble with his back last week even though he started back to work on the 6th. I will give him lots of credit because he did work more than half of his shift that night. I truly expected him to be home way before that. Yet he toughed it out for five and a half hours. The following day the pain in his back was more intense than before so I called the family doctor to get him into the office right away. He was kept off from work until Monday (9/11) and sent for an MRI on the 8th. Yesterday we woke up early and went into the family doctor's office to hear the results of the MRI. There seemed to be little that could be classified as out of place or wrong. It did indicate that there was a small bulge in the L4 vertebrae area but it wasn't significant enough to be causing the pain that Chris has been feeling in his back and legs. Of course, that meant we had to go to yet another doctor to see if there was something we could do to get him out of pain. This morning we went to see an orthopedic doctor. After he reviewed the MRI results, he concluded that Chris's problem in the lower back area was mostly musclular. So he set Chris up for some physical therapy 3 times a week for the next 2 weeks before we go back to see the orthopedic doctor again. I'm hoping and praying that this will be what he needs to help him get out of pain. It makes me feel so horrible that I can't let him rest and get out of the pain that way but I know that he needs the activity to help him get better.

As for me, I'm hanging in there. The past few days I've been waking up really early after only having a few hours of sleep. I'm not sure why but that's just the way it's been here. I think it's primarily the shift in the weather from summer to fall. My hands and feet are swollen and very tender/painful today. Even though I have taken the anti-inflammatory, my hands and feet still feel as though they are stretching to the point where they are going to explode. More than likely I'm going to put my feet up for a little while and maybe take a small nap. I know there are things that need to be done but I don't know that I can push myself without making things worse. And we definitely don't need to have anything else go wrong with me healthwise right now. So I'm going to take it easy, I think. Thanks to my mother-in-law, we have an extra desk in the house that has pretty much become my writing desk. It sets in the front room where many of the "girly" things are. So it seemed only natural to put all my writing supplies and such there. I am glad to have it because I have been writing up a storm as of late whenever my hands let me type or write the old fashioned way (you know, pen and paper). I have to get in a lot of practice between now and October 31st. The month of November starts the whole NaNoWriMo contest for this year. A full month to try and complete a 50,000 words novel or at least a good portion of one. I barely completed my goal of getting to the 50,000 word mark last year. This year my goal is to try and stay on whatever target number of words I set for myself for the days. That way I can take it one goal at a time. My book reading goal may suffer a bit during the month of November but I'm hoping to have some extra books read to make up for that. All in all I've got two of my greatest loves to keep me busy.

Well, my hands are aching and burning from me pushing myself to finish this post in one sitting. I'm going to go prop myself up in bed and let the pain I feel go away. I wish everyone a wonderful day/evening. Take care!

Love and blessings,
Kim

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home