Stepping Stones

A woman's journey through life while juggling the affects of Psoriatic Arthritis.

Monday, July 31, 2006

Going to the rheumy...

Just a small post right now to let you all know that I'm getting ready to go to the rheumatologist today in about 2 hours. I'll be able to post much more after seeing him and finding out what's going to happen with my arthritis medications. It will probably take me about an hour to get ready, so I'm off to get cleaned up and dressed to go. See ya again in a little while.

Edit 7:15pm Indiana Time (EST)

Ok, I'm back from the rheumy's office. Yeah, I've been back for a little while. Just trying to do a few things before sitting down to put all my thoughts and whatnot here. The heat here is making things difficult anyway. I just wonder who requested the extra helping of HOT for the last day of July! They should be stripped and whipped. At least they'd be partially comfortable then despite the heat and humidity. I was really glad that I only had to leave the house once today for a couple of reasons. Firstly, I am in a lot of pain and feeling so stiff all over. It takes me a long time in the morning to get going because I wasn't taking anything for arthritis. Because of the complications with quite a few medications, there is a limited range of things I can take. It took me about an hour to get moving this morning and I checked some of my emails. Instead of doing a 5 minute walk today because of the humidity and heat, I did my stretches. I'm glad I did the stretches because it really helped me to loosen up a little bit. I did a little reading and some writing before I got ready for the rheumy. That took me a good while to get ready even though I had did my stretches and moved around a bit. Chris drove me because the heat really seemed to sap whatever little strength I had after getting ready for the doctor's appointment.

I got there a bit early so that if they weren't busy, I could just go back and meet with the doctor for a bit longer than usual. The good news is that I have managed to lose 6 pounds according to the doctor's scales. I weighed at home and noticed that my scale is about 5 pounds off from what the one at the doctor's office. I'm going to keep that in mind whenever I use my scales now. That way I have a general idea of what I've lost. The main problem posed by the medication interactions is that I am limited...very limited. I can't take Methotrexate again because of how it messed up my liver before when I took it. I can't take Celebrex while I'm on the Toprol because of the swelling in the legs and the fluid retention. I can't take a number of different arthritis medications because I'm on Coudamin for the blood clot issue we found back in February. There are two options that I'm presently able to choose from. One, I take an older version of the arthritis medication called Salsalate. I'm going to give it a shot to see if it will keep the arthritis portion of my disease under a bit of control. If that doesn't seem to do the trick, the doctor and I agreed to give the Enbrel another chance. We both think that my blood clot was caused more by my genes instead of medications. Hopefully that is the case should I have to take the Enbrel again.

So, that pretty much leaves me starting from square one. There isn't much I can do for the psoriasis other than use the things I have had before to try and keep it from going all over. Hopefully once I lose enough weight, my blood pressure medication can be reduced and I can get back on the Celebrex if needed. It will also help my good cholesterol number to go up and the bad one to go down. Therefore, I'm going to keep doing what I'm doing. I finished book #34 last night and started the next one on my list. I'm going to go and get something to eat for dinner. Then it's off to do a bit more writing. Take care all.

Love and blessings,
Kim

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home