Stepping Stones

A woman's journey through life while juggling the affects of Psoriatic Arthritis.

Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Too much going on....

I know I have been letting my blog slip lately. It's not that I have been meaning to not write. There's just been a lot of things going on. Saturday, we had a situation in the family where our niece and nephews had to come stay with us for a few days. I won't go into the details because the situation has been resolved and there's no need to rehash the problem when a solution has already been found for now. Therefore my Sunday and Monday were filled with keeping them busy and not at each other's throats as well dealing with not having slept for almost a full 24 hours. You see, my mom called me from work on Monday morning because Billy, my brother, was having difficulty breathing. I didn't get a chance to fall asleep the night before because my shoulder was still acting up as well as my feet and back. I was still awake when she called me and asked if I would go over and sit with him until she found a way to get off of work early. I went over there and turned his oxygen up so that he would be getting more into his system. I stayed there for a few hours just keeping him from worrying as well as making sure he would have someone to call for an ambulance if needed. My mother was finally able to get off work a few hours before she was scheduled so I drove over to her work and then took her home. After all that, I had to call and cancel my acupuncture appointment. I hadn't been able to get even a nap in between all of that going on and knew I couldn't make it much longer. Right before I slipped into dreamland, I heard the phone ring. Of course I answered the phone, thinking it was my mom calling to tell me that she was taking Billy to the hospital. Actually it was the Superior Court secretary calling to tell me that my jury duty is was cancelled because the case had apparently been settled. I was so grateful. I remember hanging up the phone and then going to sleep. When I woke up a few hours later, Chris told me that the kids had been sent home and that my brother had been taken to the hospital. He still couldn't breathe after doing everything that he knew to do.

I talked to my mom early Tuesday morning to see how he was doing. He is in the Intensive Care Unit at the local hospital and was put on 15 liters of Oxygen until his blood oxygen stayed within the limit the doctors were looking for. Of course, they pushed the medications to drain off the excessive fluids from his body. I spent most of Tuedsay resting and trying not to cry from the pain I was feeling in my back and feet. I'm definitely hoping that I can get an earlier appointment with the rheumatologist. I don't know how many more days I can last without taking anything to lessen the affects of the arthritis on my body. Later Tuesday night, I talked with my mom again and found out a lot more disturbing news. Seems my family is a magnet for bad news right now. My brother was doing fine and the fluids were coming off of him at the rate the doctors wanted last night. But my great grandmother was in the Intensive Care Unit as well. I've never met my great grandmother but I had heard a lot about her from other family members. She's my grandfather's mother. I had been trying to get ahold of that side of the family for a little while so I could fill in information in my family tree that I'm working on when I get a chance. Unfortunately, my great grandmother is dying. She has an infection within a hernia that can only be removed by surgery and right now she's too frail to even survive the surgery. She's 97 years old. I fear that I won't have the chance to meet her now even though I have tried a few times in the past. On top of this news, I also found out that there is a custody battle going on with my cousin's children. It's possible that her son and daughter may be taken from her. I don't know all the details surrounding that problem but I'm sure that if she's doing everything by the book and not hiding anything, then she'll not have a problem.

Today....oh today hasn't been the best day either. I work up extra early this morning intent on getting a shower and going out to the hospital to see Billy. I made sure to do some of my stretches, not pushing myself. Yet I couldn't even walk to the bathroom this morning without crying. My feet feel like they are full of knives. I knew I wasn't going to be able to stand in the shower and unfortunately, I don't have a shower seat. I have been putting off getting one because I don't want to admit that I need it. Sort of like, not wanting to admit that I'm worse. I made sure that I did call and talk to Billy a few times because I felt really guilty for not going to see him. I know that it's not fun being stuck in the hospital. I also know that he doesn't get a lot of visitors besides Mom and Dad. But I just was not physically able to get ready and go out to the hospital no matter how hard I tried or wished that I could. I mean, it's not like I don't go out of my way to be there and to keep him company when I feel up to it. I'm always calling and chatting with him. I go over there on the days when it's not that painful to walk. But I still feel guilty for not going today even though he says he understands. I'm hoping that the weather system that's been hovering near Indiana will pass on through soon. That way I should have a few days that I don't feel too bad and I can go annoy the crap out of him. I spent a large amount of the day reading and just stretching my joints off and on. I was supposed to get my 5 minute walk in today but with my feet, it wasn't possible. I went ahead and did some stretching so I was getting some exercise for the day. I've really been trying to get moving once again. As far as my other goals, I'm still working on the reading. The writings have really been coming along whenever I can sit and write for long stretches at a time. Writing with pen and paper is a bit more comfortable for me than typing. Plus, it just feels more natural to me. As far as everything else I have been talking about, I will admit that I haven't been doing any crafting here lately. That's just something I haven't been too interested in right now.

For all my friends out there, I just want you to know that I do love you and keep each of you in my thoughts. I hope that things are going well for all of you. I miss hearing from you so when you get the chance, drop me a line or two. Oh and before I forget.....HAPPY BIRTHDAY KIRSTEN!!!!!!!! May you have a day of laughter, smiles and memories that fill your heart with love. Take care out there.

Love and blessings,
Kim

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home